Accidents can happen no matter where you are or what you are doing – and being a pedestrian is no exception. Even if you are not riding in a vehicle on the road, you can still be involved in fatal accidents. You can still suffer injuries and have other aspects of your life affected negatively.
But on the other side of the coin, there are many ways to be safe in the streets as a pedestrian. There are precautions that you can take that will decrease your risk of being involved in accidents. You can start by following these tips:
When you’re walking on streets or busy highways, make sure that you’re visible to all drivers. If you just came out from another part of the street, do not immediately jump on the road and cross the street.
- You should wear reflective or light-colored clothing during the night and brightly colored clothing in the day. This is one way of letting drivers know you’re there. This is important, especially when you’re walking in low-light conditions or times of day such as during dusk or dawn.
- You should stay in well-lit areas, especially before crossing the streets. Make sure that drivers see you at all times.
- If possible, always make eye contact with the drivers around you. This will signal to them that you will cross the street soon and gives them a chance to respond if you cannot do so.
It is common to see people crossing the streets with their eyes glued to their devices or their sense of hearing impaired as they are listening to music with their headphones on. Don’t be one of those people. Remember that when you’re a pedestrian, your ears and eyes are important tools for your safety. You should always stay vigilant.
- Smartphones and other handheld devices are essential parts of life for everyone. But when you’re a pedestrian, you should discipline yourself to put down your devices as they can easily distract you. Your eyes should be on the road, not on your devices.
- You should not wear headphones. Your ears can help you in telling what is happening around you so make sure that you put headphones away.
Follow the Rules
Rules are there for a purpose, so take time to familiarize yourself with them and use them to your advantage. Be wary of the signs around you when you’re crossing the street.
- Not only should drivers know all the rules but you should, too. This will enable you to expect what drivers will do so you can act accordingly.
- Do not assume that a driver will always let you cross the street just because they can already see you attempting to do so. Take the time to make eye contact with a driver of approaching or stopped vehicle before you enter the roadway. Make sure the driver knows what you are planning to do so he/she can take measures to ensure safety.
Accidents Do Happen
Regardless of how you try to be careful as a pedestrian, accidents can still happen, especially if drivers are not focused on the road. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, it’s always best to work with a lawyer like this one here. A lawyer can help you get through a lawsuit battle easier while giving you more time to focus on other aspects of your life.
Danger is lurking in every corner, and just one wrong move can be the reason your safety and life is at risk. This is true for drivers and pedestrians alike. Use the tips presented in this article so you’ll avoid being in that kind of situation. Slowly implement these tips in your daily routine, and for sure, your safety will increase in no time!