European Institute of Innovation & Technology EIT
Nanoethics examines issues surrounding the alteration of matter at the atomic and molecular level in various disciplines including computer science, engineering, and biology. And engineering ethics deals with the professional standards of engineers, including software engineers and their moral responsibilities to the public. Other fields of ethics have had to contend with technology-related issues, including military ethics, media ethics, and educational ethics. Philosophical debates have arisen over the present and future use of technology in society, with disagreements over whether technology improves the human condition or worsens it. The International Conference of Green Technology is an annual multidisciplinary forum for promoting and fostering interactions between researchers, scientists, academia, and related industrial communities in studying the development of science and green technology.
- This use of polished stone axes increased greatly in the Neolithic but was originally used in the preceding Mesolithic in some areas such as Ireland.
- It all happens thanks to the multidisciplinary approach of our research institutes, Digital Research Innovation Capability Platform, industry partnerships, strategic initiatives and our world-class specialist facilities.
- Modern research has turned to investigate the internet’s downsides, including disinformation, polarization, hate speech, and propaganda.
- Other fields of ethics have had to contend with technology-related issues, including military ethics, media ethics, and educational ethics.
- At the same time, this new technology replaced other medical devices and could thereby create savings, at least in theory.
- Other technological advances made during the Paleolithic era were clothing and shelter; the adoption of both technologies cannot be dated exactly, but they were a key to humanity’s progress.
Articles from Britannica Encyclopedias for elementary and high school students. We’ve created a new place where questions are at the center of learning. While this global health crisis continues to evolve, it can be useful to look to past pandemics to better understand how to respond today. Britannica is the ultimate student resource for key school subjects like history, government, literature, and more. Man’s relationship with technology has been explored in science-fiction literature, for example in Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Isaac Asimov’s essays, and movies like Minority Report, Total Recall, Gattaca, and Inception. It has spawned the dystopian and futuristic cyberpunk genre, which juxtaposes futuristic technology with societal collapse, dystopia or decay.
Since the invention of the wheel, technologies have helped increase humans’ economic output. Past automation has both substituted and complemented labor; machines replaced humans at some lower-paying jobs , but this was compensated by the creation of new, higher-paying jobs. Studies have found that computers did not create significant net technological unemployment. Due to artificial intelligence being far more capable than computers, and still being in its infancy, it is not known whether it will follow the same trend; the question has been debated at length among economists and policymakers. A 2017 survey found no clear consensus among economists on whether AI would increase long-term unemployment.
It didn’t take long to discover that wheeled wagons could be used to carry heavy loads and fast potters’ wheels enabled early mass production of pottery. But it was the use of the wheel as a transformer of energy that revolutionized the application of nonhuman power sources. According to archaeologists, the wheel was invented around 4000 B.C.E. The wheel was likely independently invented in Mesopotamia (in present-day Iraq) as well. There is also evidence from the same period of time that wheels were used for the production of pottery.
Business & Technology
Basic economic relations are changing as new technologies and markets emerge. Dairy producers are experimenting with new technologies to reduce the cholesterol in milk. Company profits have doubled since the introduction of new technology. More examples There were huge advances in aviation technology during the Second World War. Each student should be able to analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.