Today, everyone in the field of medical sciences is racing against time to find a cure for almost all known illnesses. Although we have several OTC pills and drugs to treat most of the common medical problems, the quest for a more refined solution continues. For instance, if you have erectile dysfunction, the first choice would be to purchase drugs like Cialis online without a prescription to treat the problem. However, in some instances, it is wise to opt for surgery, if medications don’t improve your condition. However, how do you gain insight on something as serious as a surgery? That’s the reason why you need to stay up to date with the latest advancements in the field of medicine.
The field of medical sciences is imperfect and constantly changing, with many lives on the line. No wonder William Osler, the great Canadian physician, describes medicine as a “science of uncertainty & art of probability.”
List of Top 5 Medical Innovations in 2020
- Transplants & Artificial Organs – Organ transplantation and artificial implants are seeing several new developments, the latest including penis and fecal transplants. An example worth mentioning is the successful penis transplant on an injured soldier that consisted of complete transplantation of the penis and scrotum to treat urinary problems and erectile dysfunction. Likewise, results from creating artificial organs that replace faulty ones, which the human body does not reject, are also ground-breaking. The research includes the creation of synthetic ovaries, blood vessels, pancreas, and more.
- Robotic Surgery – Robotics is not new in the field of medicine. You will find the use of robotics in prosthetics, orthodontics, rehabilitation, transportation of medical supplies, disinfection, and more. However, what the future of robotics promises you is the targeted treatment of tumor cells and infected bacterial cells. It will also allow doctors to view real-time patient progress during surgeries.
- Gene Editing – The technology allows scientists to alter the DNA sequence by adding, removing, or altering the infected locations in the genome. Recent research in gene modification is the CRISPR-Cas9, which allows the system to resist any new genetic material with the help of acquired immunity from DNA fragments of previously infected bacteriophages. Research in gene editing offers promising results in overcoming some of the biggest threats related to cancer and HIV related problems. It can also help in treating single-cell disorders such as sickle cell disease, hemophilia, and cystic fibrosis.
- 3-D Printing – The application of 3D printing is not only limited to the food, automobile, and cosmetic industry but also finds use in medical applications. For instance, you can print pills with multiple drug combinations and test dosage forms using the process of “precise drug dispensation.”
- Voice & Wearables as a Diagnostic Tool – Voice-based tools such as vocal biomarkers and wearables such as smartphones have been useful in transmitting real-time information about the patient. For example, voice biomarkers help in identifying the presence of heart diseases, and wearable fitness trackers and ECG monitors will help patients combat such diseases by monitoring and improving the person’s overall health.
This list is a very superficial one. There is plenty of other on-going research that will surely interest you, and one such is the groundwork laid for developing a vaccine against the rapidly spreading COVID-19 disease. Stay tuned for more updates in the field of science and technology.